Want a career in aviation? Love to fly and get paid for it at the same time? Perhaps be a jumbo jet pilot in the future?

The Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) is for you!


Be remunerated for your flying.


  • Private Pilot Licence
  • 18 years old to obtain the licence
  • Class 1 Medical Certificate completed by a Civil Aviation Medical Examiner
  • 80 hours of ground school on the following subjects:
    • Canadian Aviation Regulations,
    • Aerodynamics and Theory of Flight,
    • Meteorology,
    • Airframes, Engines and Systems,
    • Flight Instruments,
    • Radio and Electronic Theory,
    • Navigation,
    • Flight Operations,
    • Licensing Requirements, and
    • Human Factors, including pilot decision-making
  • Obtain a 60% pass mark in each of section of the written exam (Air Law, Navigation, Meteorology, Aeronautics General Knowledge)
  • 200 hours total flight time including:
    • 100 hours Pilot-in-command (PIC) time including 20 hours of cross-country time
    • After getting the PPL, in general a student should add on:
      • 35 hours dual instruction flight time, including:
        • 5 hours of night flying, including a minimum of 2 hours of cross-country flight time;
        • 5 hours cross-country, which may include the cross-country stated above
        • 20 hours of instrument flight time. A maximum 10 hours of the 20 hours may be completed in a simulator
      • 30 hours solo flight time including:
        • a cross-country flight to a point of a minimum of 300 nautical mile radius from the point of departure and shall include a minimum of 3 landings at points other than that of departure
        • 5 hours solo flight time by night during which a minimum of 10 takeoffs, circuits and landings were completed.
      • Pass a flight test within 12 months

Further Training

  • Add on multi-engine, IFR rating to complete your education
  • Your CPL hours count towards the Airline Transport Pilot Licence! 

The information listed above is the minimum requirements from Transport Canada and many flight schools will quote you fees based on the minimum requirements and leave out the information regarding time-building. In order to fulfil the 200 hours required by Transport Canada to get your CPL signed out, you would have to time build at least 50-80 hours. Check out the affordable rates at Lakeside Flight School for renting our Cessna 172P for your time-building. For your benefit, we have included 80 hours of time-building in the table below to give you a better estimate of the total price for CPL training.

Based on the Transport Canada minima and our current rates, your CPL course fees are summarised below. Please note that these numbers are the absolute minima and prices vary according to individual aptitude and attitude.

Commercial Pilot Licence training is tax-exempted in Manitoba. However, your solo rental time-building will be subjected to both GST and PST.

Commercial Pilot Licence

ItemUnit PriceTotal Price
200 Total Hours including 100 PIC Hours
35 hours Dual Instruction1906650
30 hours Solo Rental1504500
CPL Ground School 300300
CPL Written Exam
CPL Flight Test Examiner Fee495495
CPL Flight Test Plane Rental150300 (Depending on length of test)
CPL Admin Incl. TC Fees150150
Time Building (80 hours)15012000
Grand Total26060
Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)

Check out our affordable rates for your Commercial Pilot Licence today!

Enroll today and start flying now!